Cutaway Saturn V and Shuttle model kits
Pat Flannery
2011-04-30 04:07:30 UTC
In 1/100th scale is on sale here:
http://www.historicaviation.com/product_info.po?ID=22055&product=Models+and+Kits&category=civil&subcategory=Space
All pre-painted also, saving you a _lot_ of trouble, particularly with
the f&#$ing external visual tracking markings*.
It apparently even has a cutaway LM:
The same company also makes a 1/72 cutaway Shuttle orbiter:
http://www.amazon.com/John-N-Hansen-26116-4D/dp/B00133IUO6
That's quite the model:
http://www.4d2you.com/visible-172-space-shuttle-kit/

Pat
Pat Flannery
2011-04-30 04:12:18 UTC
Post by Pat Flannery
http://www.collectspace.com/review/famemaster4d_lm01.jpg
Whoops, the LM and CSM are in 1/72:
http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000627.html
Look at the detail on those things though.

Pat
Obviousman
2011-04-30 09:50:41 UTC
The future kits are 1:24. I've asked - again - when they will be
available. I've got the 1:100 Saturn V and am very happy with it.
Pat
Pat Flannery
2011-05-01 03:37:05 UTC
Post by Obviousman
The future kits are 1:24. I've asked - again - when they will be
available. I've got the 1:100 Saturn V and am very happy with it.
I looked at their website; I can't really picture them putting the wrong
scale on the box.

Pat
Obviousman
2011-05-01 05:39:40 UTC
They can do that, by displaying the box for the 1:72 item because apart
from scale, the model will be exactly the same. The manufacturers
themselves said it will be 1:24.
Pat
Pat Flannery
2011-05-01 16:31:09 UTC
Post by Obviousman
They can do that, by displaying the box for the 1:72 item because apart
from scale, the model will be exactly the same. The manufacturers
themselves said it will be 1:24.
The detail looks very good for a 1/72 scale kit, but not all that good
in 1/24th scale.
Apparently the CSM will be in 1/32 scale:
http://www.famemaster.com/news_list.asp?id=111
Which is very annoying, as now they are repeating the Monogram scale
mistake you can't do both to the same scale and show them docked; a
cutaway docked pair would look really spectacular.
Large models of Apollo spacecraft have limited sales appeal due to their
cost; there was a limited production 1/32 scale LM done once, but it's
long gone. I don't know of any CSM done larger than the Monogram one in
1/32. They want to do them that large, I wish them good luck, as the
models will be quite expensive. Frankly the release of the Saturn V
surprised me, as I thought they may have canceled it after the worldwide
recession set in.

Pat